Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Play Dead - T.V. Eye

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

One of me favourite bands, Play Dead from 1981, with their second single, on Fresh Records, (great Label Fresh) T.V. Eye.
I used to have the shirt with Bat on, which I wore for years. First saw them supporting Killing Joke on the 'Fire Dances' tour, still one of the best gigs i've been to to this day. We were supposed to be staying at the house of Demented Are Go guitarist (who one of our mate's knew) but when we turned up he said there was too many of us and we ended up sleeping rough in a playground.
Once gave Play Dead's drummer Whiff a lift when he was hitching. It was just after they had split up, and I saw this guy at roundabout near Oxford who looked familiar. I was going to High Wycombe, (where I lived at the time) and this guy said he was going to a drumming audition in London. Killing Joke came on the tape deck & he said he'd once played with them in Cardiff (noticing the old twang like). Penny drops! Grabs the leather jacket off the back seat. Proudly shows Whiff the Bat badge on the lapel. Really nice guy. Wonder if he got the gig? Whiff if your out there. I doubt you remember that lift as well as I do!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Play Dead - T.V. Eye
Play Dead - Final Epitaph

One of the best appearances on The Tube (in my opinion) Now on You Tube.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read on a french site that they acted like Rock Stars playing in France at the time... if I remember well my brother witnessed them.. it was a gig full of tension, chicken dance and gobs ...
Don't know much about this band but always liked the "Tenant"...
As usual I enjoy the variety of stuff you propose....
Thanx again!!

Jeronyme.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Loved the Propaganda single. John, have you got the live album they released? it was recorded at their final gig at Bowes Lyon House, Stevenage.

1:18 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

No probs J. Ahh.... chicken dancing & gobbing. What night would have been complete without those essential ingredients. God bless the eighties.

Nuzz, yes I've got the live L.P. on the shelving somewhere, i'll try & dig it out over the weekend. Ripping L.P.'s can take me sometime! :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Howy Pritchard said...

Very entertaining J,especially the 80,s remnissing. I,m glad the valleys are still as punk as fuck, dont give up the fight.
Osaka H

11:13 AM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

H,
Been off line for a while.
Hows things going?
J

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home