Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Monday, March 23, 2009

The Stranglers - Live At The Roundhouse 1977


















I thought i'd stay with the live theme. This is a decent enough boot from a 1977 Roundhouse gig. I've given you a nice picture of, Shihan JJ Burnel, 6th Dan on the front, executing a side kick.
Sounds like it was a fantastic gig, great atmosphere & The Stranglers are as tight as hell.
Nice little pieces in there from Hugh, having a pop at the crowd for gobbing and the like. Particularly good version of Peaches on this.
Love the fact that Jet Black was well known for driving around in an ice cream van. The band used to ferry their kit around in it. England legend Stuart Pearce is a massive fan.
My favourite Stranglers story is the night JJ Burnel & Paul Simonon, squared up outside Dingwalls, after The Stranglers had supported The Ramones & The Flamin Groovies. The Pistols & The Clash had gone along for the evening. The story goes, JJ thought Paul had spat at him, if you've seen old footage of Paul he does gob a lot, (Paul still thinks JJ kicked him first) it kicks off in the bar JJ decks Paul, who falls into Cook & Jones having a quiet pint, they all jump Burnel, bouncers break it up, chuck em out, then it kicks off outside. Greenfield goes nuts, throws Lydon against a wall, who says 'nuffink to do with me' Cornwell & Joe look on in disbelief, mates from the old pub rock circuit. Hugh apparently saying, 'Look's like your bass player is having a fight with my bass player.'
Sounds like a quality night out.


















The Stranglers - Live At The Roundhouse 1977

5 Comments:

Blogger Punkzer0 said...

Memories, I went to this gig, and they were excellent, I'm in two minds. to live with memory or listen to it and see if it lives up to the memory. I think because of the Jubilee the Roundhouse had a picture of the queen on the ceiling, and loads of people tried gobbing at it (well all the ones that read in the papers thats what you were meant to do)

11:07 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Which is exactly what Hugh says on this! Of all the boots I have, this was one I wished I was at. Gobbing at the ceiling. A Lovely picture. :)
Do you have an exact date for this gary?
I'll leave you in 2 minds!
J

11:31 PM  
Blogger Jock The Ripper said...

Great minds... and all that.
I've got the whole show on a very ropey cassette and if the date on that's right it's the 6th of November 1977.
;)

1:29 AM  
Blogger Longy said...

Dam it,I've already got this one and it is indeed a great listen.

Gary I get so jealous of hearing about all these old 77 gigs in London. I hated my parents for making us move out of London in June 76 to Plymouth and I often reflect on all the gigs I missed. Having said that,I'm not as old as you Gary so I doubt I would of got in to most of them : - )

10:50 PM  
Blogger theundergroundrestaurant said...

i was there...

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home