Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Sunday, September 07, 2008

New Model Army - The Rose Demos

















If you've been here more than once, you know how much I love New Model Army. They were the first band I ever felt the need to follow round. For a young Anarcho, (in a dying Anarcho scene at the time) it felt right. The politics were working class, (as a young working class punk, from the South Wales valleys, it felt like someone really understood, how I felt) the music was like nothing else coming out (I was a huge Ruts & Clash fan & the influences were obviously there). The claustrophobia & 'Small Town' mentality expressed in the lyrics, this was for me. And still is. Still the only singer that can reduce this grown man to tears. Especially acoustically.
This bootleg has been kicking around for a while now, and a lot of these demos have been around on bootlegs for years. But what you have here is practically a 'greatest hits' of New Model Army demos.
I rather some of the demos on here to the eventual releases. 'No Greater Love' & 'Young Gifted & Skint' are far superior to the L.P. versions. The demo for 'Whirlwind' (working title 'Let the Bastards Know') is essentially a completely different song, with a great shout along feel a'la 'Vengeance'. 'Billy' is as hard to come by as rocking horse shit, and is a must have, sounding like a cross between the Cure & Madness. Serious! 'Ballad 2' is as beautiful as any of the other ballads Mr. Sullivan has ever written. A brilliant version of 'The Price' still one of my favourite N.M.A. tracks. I won't go on... Click rear cover for full listing.
This I feel, is good enough for a proper release. I'll be first in the queue.
















Font & rear covers photographed by Punks On Postcards photo journalist, Peroxide @ the Boat in Bristol in November 2007. Check other N.M.A. posts on here for more of that gig.

New Model Army - The Rose Demos

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Thanks alot mate.

11:22 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

No probs anon. If enough people moan i'll up the bit-rate on a few of the tracks and make it 2 downloads (i've only downed them on a few 2 make it 1 download, it don't detract much as it's a bootleg anyway).
J

11:34 PM  
Blogger Highlander said...

Thanks for this John. I remember hearing 'Vengeance' in a Goth club in Glasgow (think it might have been the Uni) and being suitably over-awed. There's a whole train of memories associated with that particular moment that would swamp your comments if I let it. So I'll just reiterate my thanks instead.

11:44 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Glasgow goths! Now there's a thing. Usd to run into these 2 lads from Glasgow all the time. Rangers fans...... used to follow all sorts round, Wonderstuff, Nephilim, N.M.A.(up north), last time I saw them them was in Bairds, early nintites, looking very uncomfortable. I love that pub! Leave the Barras be.
J

12:26 AM  
Blogger Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Good stuff, dunno if you've checked out their forum, a few bootlegs were up for grabs a while back:

http://board.newmodelarmy.org/index.php?topic=727.0

Shame my memories faded a bit about those 'dark goth days' Saw 'the Neph' a fair few times in their ealier days, it seemed rude not to as they were local Stevenage folk. Take care John, and I'll be popping over to see ya soon Highlander.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home