Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Monday, August 11, 2008

VA - Positive Punks On Postcards

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ok, this started after I made a few comments back & fore with asbo of 'Nothing Better To Do' blog, Here.
Nice blog he has going there with some eclectic stuff. He has posted on there one of those 3 disc comps you see in Asda or HMV or the like. 'Flesh, Fangs & Filigree'.very modern goth looking, loads of S&M imagery etc. (fine for the bedroom....) but hiding under all that pseudo gothery are some (to my mind) of the best tracks to come out of that mid eighties period.
I was so impressed, I made a copy of what I consider to be the best tracks on it to listen to today. And now, you can have a copy! I've even made you a fancy cover. Seriously, some great stuff on here.
Break it down,
Ritual - Mind Disease, some great snarling vocals, killer track.
Screaming Dead - Creatures Of The Night, signed to 'No Future' street punks with crimped hair. Still sound like an Oi! band to me.
Theatre Of Hate - Judgement Hymn, Kirk Brandon & boys at their best. I loved TOH, still do.
Actifed - Crucifixion, saw Actifed supporting the U.K. Subs back in the early eighties. Released some great singles of which this is one.
Blah, blah, blah.....
More great tracks... And anyway, why the bloody hell do The Dark keep appearing on these things?
Why the title? I'll let 'Dave Simpson of The Guardian'explain....
'In February 1983, NME lumped together several mostly forgotten bands (Southern Death Cult, Sex Gang Children, Brigandage, Specimen, agged them 'positive punk'.
I also remember they lumped in The Mob.
Serious, good stuff on this. Apoligies to asbo for shamelessly nicking & re-posting.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

VA - Positive Punks On Postcards

6 Comments:

Blogger irishdave said...

It's all about the positivity! I've been playing my Brigandage / S.Death Cult records quite a lot this last couple of weeks, KYPP is posting Brigandage stuff this week, and now this!
The term "Positive" is so awful though, but better than goth I suppose?
BTW - even though the "Orca" lp wasn't released until 1989, whyohwhyohwhy aren't Indian Dream spoken of in the same breath as Brigandage? Cut from the same cloth IMO.

11:04 AM  
Blogger irishdave said...

Did I forget to say thanks for this great comp? I did?
Bollox to that...
:-)
Thanks

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

exelente disco la verdad me gusto mucho todos los grupos que trae son muy buenos, se te agradece este discaso, saludos y adios

9:01 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Hi irishdave,
I know, it's odd with the posts sometimes. I alawys hated the 'Posi-Punk' label as well. I was taking the piss really & just trying to reclaim it from the 'Goth' tag. That label didn't even exist when most of this stuff came out. Just trying to put it in the historical context. Most of these bands could be read about in Sounds, in the old 'Punk & Disorderly' column or 'Punk Lives Magazine' (with a nice glossy poster!). A lot of these bands came out of the Anarcho scene. If you know your history etc.....
'Indian Dream' was just a timing issue I guess.
Nice Joyce Mckinney post btw. I had this green JM t-shirt I wore everywhere from prob 1988 to 1998. :) fell apart in the end. Loved that shirt.
J

Anon,
Thanks for comment and i'm guessing you liked it. 'exelente disco'. I'd say so to.
Cheers
J

12:46 AM  
Blogger irishdave said...

john - re: the t-shirt.
I had the same one and when it - and others - become too worn out to wear anymore, if possible I salvage the print and add to an old duvet cover. I nearly have THE most punk duvet - EVER!
(sometimes I think I need a life...)

11:49 AM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

irishdave,
:). You'll have to take a photo of that duvet cover! Brilliant stuff! When mine get to knackered, I tend to salvage the print and sew them on the back of a jacket for my eldest. 'Here you are love, made you another jacket.' A Levellers/Vandals/Destroy combination being the most recent effort. Rather fine it looked if I do say so myself. (likewise, sometimes I think I need a life...)Gotta see that duvet though!
J

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home