Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Violators - Sounds 16/10/82

Posting this for regular commenter Sascha. The Violators from New Mills, same area as Blitz. Both 'No Future' signed bands adopting the Clockwork Orange style a'la The Adicts at various times.
I used to go to college with a lad who was a Clockwork Orange skinhead and he would go to his classes, in full Clockwork Orange make-up in an Alex/Monkey style, with his bowler & his brolly, white shirt & sta-prest & 14 hole Martens. Lecturers were forever sending him off to wash his face. You'd see him in the toilets at ten past nine washing all that white make-up off, complaining it had taken him an hour to do that morning.
Click n read. The interview is certainly of the time, so to speak.
The Violators - Summer Of 81

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come home from work after a shit day and find this!!! Wow, John, how great is this....thanks a lot o my brother. Such a great band, I remember hearing "Summer of '81" (probably about three years after the single came out) on the local college station and it honestly sent shivers down my spine. There was a DJ who once played the entire No Future catalogue over the course of a night and I taped most of it!

Very cool. Thanks again.

Sascha

9:17 PM  
Blogger bitterandrew said...

"Summer of '81" used to get a lot of play on my in-car mix CDs, though not recently. I'll have to rectify that.

Loving the scans, by the way. I'm a sucker for "in the moment" artifacts.

2:44 AM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

No probs Sascha. Thanks for comments mate. Glad I brightened your day a little.

4:37 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Nice of you to drop in bitterandrew. I love the old "in the moment" artifacts as well, which is one of things I love about your site. That and your ability to make me laugh out loud, which isnt an easy task by the way.
Cheers
J

4:40 PM  
Blogger Slobodan Burgher said...

Interesting note on your classmate the Clockwork Orange skin. Never much understood that trend...though sometime this summer I saw one (first time ever in my life) on Bethnal Green High Street! I am not sure if it was a dress-up-party-thing or what (but I guess that was always the thing with them ultraviolent guys huh?).

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home