Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Varukers - E.P.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

First E.P. from The Varukers and it's a classic. Bought this after bumping into a couple of punks (a real couple, one male, one female type deal) in the street while on holiday as a kid, one had The Varukers on the back of their jacket, (looking back the paint was probably still wet) the other Discharge. They pointed me in the direction of this fantastic record shop where flicking through the singles I found this. Whenever I pull this single out, I think of that couple as they were really cool with me, even though they would have been quite a few years older than me at the time. I read an article the other day, where someone was talking about how back then, wherever you were, Punks would just start talking to each other in strange towns & cities. It was like that. There was a sense of a Punk community. Within twenty minutes of arriving somewhere you'd suss out where the local Punk's were and you'd be sorted for the night, week, however long. I think the word is Altruism. We need more of it back in our lives.

Protest To Survive/No Scapegoat/Soldier Boy/Never Again

The Varukers - E.P.

4 Comments:

Blogger márcio said...

Such a great post!!! In my opinion it influenced a hole generation... Just need to take a look at Riistetyt's "Valtion Vankina" to Lp to realise that.
Thanks John!!!

1:02 AM  
Blogger Slobodan Burgher said...

Huh, yeah, and the older punks offering you narcotics, lol. Great memories there too.

I love Varukers. I know it is a generic comment but it is a shame that he had to go all vocalist in Discharge.

Oh well,

7:05 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Going to see Varuker-Charge in a couple of weeks looking forward to it as it goes!

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Varukers when they first started: I did an interview with them for my fanzine back in 1981, and saw them quite a few times in 1982 (when I could get in! as I was only 14 years old then): one memorable night was in Coventry with Antisect (it was Antisects 3rd gig - early in 1982)...

I kind-of tuned out of them in the mid-80's, but played a bunch of concerts on the same bill as them in late 1985 and through 1986...

But - this EP is a total doss!

Nic

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home